I am so...devastated. I don't even know if that is a strong enough word to express how I feel.
I found out that to travel to Ghana, one MUST have the vaccination against Yellow Fever. I was so worried and immediately began looking into the vaccine, to see what side effects there are, and, most importantly, to find out if it can cause Aspergers. I posted on a yahoo! group about my concerns. Lois emailed me and said that, "Yellow Fever is the least of your worries". Needless to say, I freaked! Okay, I know that sounds so immature...but it really is what I did! Posts began flooding the group about the importance of immunizing before going to Ghana. Lois posted each disease prevalent in Ghana and it's symptoms. I knew about all of this...I just didn't know Ghana was an area where these diseases were SO prevalent. I guess I should have known, really. When in posts it was said that this is a Third World country, indicating I should have KNOWN, I felt dumb for not looking in to the diseases in Ghana first, but I also felt slightly justified in my stupidity, as it were. I traveled to China, also considered by many to be a "Third World Country", without immunization or vaccination. Also, Ghana is not on lists of "Third World Countries" that I have seen, so I figured it must be "better" that other African nations, which ARE listed as Third World. I thought it would be a "safer" place to travel, and that is part of the reason I chose Ghana in the first place.
Anyway, it doesn't matter now whether I was stupid or not. What DOES matter is what I am going to do next.
I have spent the day almost in shock. I keep being reminded, "I am not going to Ghana". At least not with Taiger, and not for the months and months I had planned on. Each day, my mind is preoccupied with thoughts of going to Ghana. I envision our life there. I wonder what it will be like. I picture us in the guest house, at the orphanage. I see me teaching at the school. I see Taiger in a preschool room with other children his age, busy there so I can help the older children. I picture me with the older girls, facilitating healthy discussion and following my goals help them in every way I can. I love those girls already. I admire them. I wonder about them. I pray for them...as I do all of the children at Luckyhill. I pray for Kingsley's family, for their strength. I am amazed at their fortitude, their spirit of sacrifice, their closeness to God. I yearned to be in their presence, to feel of their spirits. I longed to learn from the people of Ghana, and especially from those at Luckyhill. To learn to be humble, to sacrifice for others. I wanted my eyes to be opened to the realities of life outside of the shelter of America. I wanted all of this for my son also.
But I know it is not all about what I want. It is about what God wants. I felt SO STRONGLY that I was supposed to be in Ghana in August. I knew I was supposed to be there in August. I am having a hard time accepting the fact that I will not be there. I keep thinking, there has to be a way. I have to be there in August. I suppose I need to stop thinking so much and have faith that if it is what I am, indeed, SUPPOSED to do, God will provide a way. Maybe I am supposed to go alone, without Taiger. Can I get immunized? I must pray to God for the answers I seek.
Have a Lovely Weekend.
-
[image: dog pizza]
What are you up to this weekend? We’re going to watch the Valkyries
basketball game and are trying to come up with purple snacks to se...
19 hours ago




No comments:
Post a Comment