Header

Header

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Two "Hair Do Darn It"s

I have TWO "hair-do-darn-it"s to share with you.

So, as I already mentioned, Taiger's hat wouldn't stay on over his afro at his last t-ball game. I decided I had better cornrow it for his game today (thursday), so his cap would stay on.


See how Gerald from Hey Arnold looks with a bike helmet?

That is about how T looked with his baseball cap on!





We cornrowed it yesterday so it would be all ready for his game today. He cried, and it hurt and I felt badly because he was hurting and crying. It just was no fun. AND I knew I would have to take it out for church Sunday (he is giving a talk in primary), so it was already disheartening that the tears and stress were over something that would be short lived. BUT, I felt it would be worth it so he could wear his cap at his game and not have it flying off when he ran. WELL...I did his hair Wednesday so it would be done for his weekly Thursday game today. About an hour before game time, I realized today is a "bye" day for his team. No game. Now, all the cornrowing was for nothing because I will take it out before his next game on Tuesday. That is my "Darn It" number one.




Today, I was not so busy at work and had time to look some things up on one of my favourite blog for black hair (see it HERE). I had time to search the archives and found some great information on products! YAY! I took notes and I am ready to spend hours in the Whole Foods in Salt Lake when I go to Utah the end of this month (why don't we have a Whole Foods in south eastern Idaho?! Oh...because it is SOUTH EASTERN IDAHO! All we need are scrunchies for our hair and meat and potatoes to eat, right?! :( ). As I was reading and learning about products and haircare, guess what I found?! A whole post (COMPLETE WITH A VIDEO!!) of how to do cornrows!!!!!! ALL of the things I have done wrong and tried to fix, I could have known from the very first and never have done them wrong! Now that I am older and wiser, I am ready to take out his cornrows and redo them so they look good! You may ask, "Why would you put your child through the tears and angst again?!" Here is the real kicker. The number one rule she gave for cornrows is that they SHOULD NEVER HURT OR CAUSE STRESS for the one getting his hair done, nor for the one doing the cornrows!!!!!!! WHAT?!?!??! She showed how to do it so it doesn't even hurt! In the video, her little girl just sat there looking at a book while her mom did the cornrows. No crying. No running away. (That is real. Taiger begged me to take a break just for a second and as soon as I let go of his hair, he bolted!) When I saw the video I felt so badly I had caused him stress unnecessarily!! :( So, that is my second, "Darn It".

4 comments:

***megan*** said...

darn it!!!

;)

Katy {and Kahler} said...

this is precious. of course, im sure "precious" wasn't the word that came to mind in each of these situations. :)

i hope that one day i'll have little ones w/ hair that requires cornrows! :)

Bryttan said...

Brec! My dearest Sister, you are such a good mom. As I was reading this post, I was wishing I was there to distract T for you. There is MY "Darn it!" I love the picture you have, Bahahahha! So fun. I'm glad you found that video, also if you want me to ask Nancy any questions, I totally will. Love the picture from Hey Arnold! And some exciting news I woke up to.... Robert Masaar wrote me back from KCH! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
And by the way, I don't think you would need to take His hair out for church... K so this comment is now it's own post. Sheesh! Maybe I should just call you next time, haha. Love you!

Shannon Dooley said...

Oh my! I can't help but giggle a little. Poor kid! Why do you feel the need to take them out for church? I for one do not think you need to & I'm pretty sure God would be ok with corn rows too. Just saying. ;) I love what you said about Idaho not having a Whole Foods because all we need are scrunchies and potatoes! HAHAHAHA! Can I get an Amen? Welcome to hickville. Lets please oh please get together soon. My heart misses and loves you!