Header

Header

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Dealing with Racism and other Issues with Race


Two days ago, I was SO MAD! I posted how I felt, but not why. You ready to hear why I was mad? It isn't pretty, and it isn't easy to understand, and there is probably no fix...but here it is.






A few weeks ago, we attended a wedding where Taiger was the only African-American. He was dressed to the nines and looked mighty fine, I must say. :) (That has nothing to do with this story, just thought I would brag on him a bit :) ). Anyway, he was sitting by me and eating and he asked if he could go get some more lemonade and I said yes. To my other side was a family friend and his wife, who didn't know us as well. When Taiger left to get his Lemonade, the girl sitting next to me said, "Who is he??" I replied, "That is Taiger, my son!" (He was sitting by me, I was helping him eat, talking to him, being "motherly", but whatever...some people can miss those signs.) Her reaction was odd, but I understand it. Sometimes people are totally caught off guard by the fact that a "BLACK" child could be my son. I usually just get over it and let it go, but I am starting to get annoyed by such reactions. I was so thankful Taiger didn't hear her question or see her reaction.




A few days after that wedding, the groom told me that during the wedding someone had asked his bride where they had hired Taiger.
Yep. HIRED. My 5 year old son.

He wasn't helping serve. He wasn't helping clean up. He wasn't decorating or entertaining or doing ANYTHING that would suggest he had been hired. (Even if he HAD been helping out, why on earth would you assume this small child had been hired?! Wouldn't you think he was just a relative or friend helping out? And if they DID think he was there working, shouldn't they have called Social Services?!??!?!) I am going to strike a sensitive chord here, and some may not like it, but I am going to say it. The only reason I can imagine they thought he was hired is because he is black.




OUCH.



The other night, a woman was at our house and made a comment about how people who are not "white" don't look human. She specifically mentioned Chinese people and African people.



(I have a sister who is Chinese and a son who is African. She knows that. Very, very well. How am I sure she knows? This woman is related. Closely.)


I am always slow to react, slow to realize the meaning behind the comments being made. But once I realize, I am stunned! I don't know what to do! My FIRST reaction is to lash out! To PROTECT my son and his feelings!

Taiger is very sensitive about his race, his colour, his hair. He wishes, WISHES, he could have white skin like "mommy's", straight, blond hair like mommy's. It pains me so deeply.




Later, I was getting Taiger's hair ready for bed. Another relative (another woman) had come over a few minutes before, and when she saw us she asked what we were doing. I explained briefly that Taiger's hair gets tangled at night and so we have to put it up before bed. I detangled it, worked in the coconut oil, and pulled it up into a quick "top knot" (ponytail for boys :))




When his hair was done, he went in to the living room to say goodnight to Grandma. That woman was sitting there and said, so RUDELY, and nearly SHOUTING, "What is up with his hair NOW?!" I said, "What?" She repeated, "What's up with his hair NOW?!" I tried to remain calm and said, "Like I said, we pull it up so it doesn't get tangled while he sleeps." I looked at his face when as I answered her RUDE question, and as he hugged Grandma his face changed. Tears were forming in his eyes, and he looked so, so sad.



I was so mad. SO MAD! These two women, sitting in my house mistreating my son, making him feel sad, making him hurt, making him feel there was something "wrong" with his hair, with HIM!

If you have children who are African/African-American (or Haitian, or from Belize, etc.), how do you deal with racism? How do you deal with racism from family?

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Brec, I think you just have to make your feeling on the matter clear with people, even if that means offending them! You have every right to be angry. He's your son for Pete's sake! I know you like to be nice and keep the peace but sometimes, it takes getting mad for people to really get it.

In the future, don't be afraid to stand up for him, for you, even if that means you hurt someone else's feelings (they sure as hell don't care much about your's or Taiger's feelings from the sounds of it).

You're a great mom! Never forget that! Love ya.

Shannon Dooley said...

OOOOOOH! I am so mad just reading this I could slap someone! Seriously?! This whole post blows me away. How ignorant of everyone mentioned! The other day I met a black man who is married to a white woman & they have (obviously) kids that are of both races. He told me that he loves living here opposed to SLC where he was before because here he feels like people actually see him & his family as people & seem to look right passed their color of skin or the fact that they are a biracial family. I thought that was so neat & it made me so happy to know we live in an area like that. I guess it was naive to think we are free of all idiots though. I agree with Stephanie's comment. You are such a sweetheart Brec but I think you have to be rude right back to get them to shutup. Even if it's just a comment like "well I've been wondering the same thing about your hair. What the heck is up with IT?!" Shift the focus to them & their own insecurities. Give them a taste of their own medicine so to speak. Or if you really want to get rude (like I tend to) say something like, "my son may have big hair but it's adorable.... wish I could say the same about your big ass." That might be best to say out of sweet little Taiger's earshot though of course. :) Or make them explain their questioning. Put them in the hot seat. Don't let people get off easily. Like when that girl said "who is he?" I would rudely say "He's my son, who else would he be?" And then stare at her until she answers or at the very least feels uncomfortable. Sometimes people need to feel embarrased themselves to make the connection that if they say something ignorant their will be some sort of consequence. Otherwise they just keep doing it. Maybe not to Taiger but to someone elses kid. Ugh. I am so mad! I want to be with you one of these days when this happens so I can freak out on someone. My husband always teases me cuz I'm that person that can't keep my mouth shut if someone is intentionally being a jack ass. Just for the record, before I even read your post, I took one look at the first picture on here of T & thought "Wow! He looks just like Breclyn in that shot!" The color of his skin didn't even matter! He is your flesh & blood & it's obvious! I hope that relative reads your post & realizes that it's people like her that keep racial stereotypes & racism in general alive. Luckily, I truly believe ignorant people like that are not the norm (although you would know better than me.) Keep your head held high girl. I hope Taiger can do the same. One more thing to hopefully give you some comfort, I have a few very close black friends who grew up here. I have asked them what that was like being raised in this area wondering how they were treated. For the most part, they have loved living here & were very popular in school with many friends. I hope Taiger can have the same experience & realize that there is something wrong with racist people, NOT him.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. It makes me sad.I have no advise as I'm trying to figure out how to navigate thru this myself. Just wanted to say the Taiger is so handsome! I love his hair!