Header

Header

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Is This Post Over Yet??

It is National Eating Disorder week! I always feel happy and embarrassed at this time of year. I want to shout to the world that eating disorders are real and are devastating and are not to be taken lightly and are NOT "just a diet". On the other hand, I have spent many, many years hiding my "dirty little secret", and it has been hard to overcome that thought pattern. :) Thankfully, I have had good friends and family to help me along the road to being able to talk about it...and I still have not reached the end. But writing it on a blog is WAAAAY easier than actually SAYING it out loud, so this blog is my safety zone for the moment. Bear with me. :)

So, I found this cool website and today it has a great article about what NOT to say to people with eating disorders...and a few hints on what TO say. I have come to realize it is dangerous territory for someone without an eating disorder to talk about their loved one's situation. Most of what they say is well intended, but ends up being quite hurtful. I think that is a lot of where the secrecy and shame comes from. So, maybe this article will help someone out there so they can talk to a person they care about who is struggling with an eating disorder.

So, that is my rambling. I admit, my arms and hands are stiff with embarrassment as I type this. I am totally frozen up and scared to be talking so openly about something I feel so ashamed and secretive about. LOL! (That, I think, was a "nervous" laugh.)

Well, anyway. Here is the link: http://www.adiosbarbie.com/2012/02/what-not-to-say-to-someone-with-an-eating-disorder/

(PHEW! Made it through THAT post!)

And for something a little more lighthearted, check out the post below. Hee hee. :)

6 comments:

Nicki said...

Thank you for writing this. I'm trying to get the courage to speak some true but potentially painful things to my family. Truth can be so hard! Anyway, hugs to you and miss you!

Small Stones said...

WALLABY 78, WHO ARE YOU?! :) Maybe I want to send you hugs, too, and I am sure I miss you, too. :) Let me know who you are so I can send you all my love. Thanks for the comment, friend.

Bryttan said...

My amazing, strong, beautiful, wonderful, sister! I LOVE YOU! Thank you for posting this. I can't believe all the wrong things I say to you, and I try so hard!! You are awesome and I love you.

"Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking, if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity."

I LOVE YOU!!!!!

Bryttan said...

But Oh if you could only sing like EDNA! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA ;D

Small Stones said...

Bryttan, YOU are the amazing one! How much you have done for me us beyond my comprehension, and I know you have done things for me that I probably never even knew about. I love you, too. And darn that Edna!

***megan*** said...

beautiful, amazing brec. i admire your openness and honesty. it is sooo extraordinarily refreshing! on our blogs we tend to just put out all of our "perfect" moments. take our pictures so that the real mess in our house isn't seen. i love and admire you so very very much. i will try to learn from your example. love you tons!