Header

Header

Thursday, August 14, 2008

An Introduction

I have always thought blogging to be rather silly, seeming little more than a journal or, for some, a diary for the world to read at leisure. However, I have recently found some long searched for information hidden in the the posts of other's blogs. Thus, I decided I should begin writing my own blog, if for no other reason than to bless someone in the way I have been blessed. Perhaps someone is searching online for the answers I have.

I do not wish to reveal too much in my blog, and I find myself being extra cautious as I write. Yet, I have chosen to write a blog and realize I cannot do so without revealing at least something of myself.

I am a single Mother, living in Utah. I have one son who is 2 and a half. His father was from Ghana. I have wanted for some time to adopt him a sibling and have recently looked into adopting from Ghana. However, as I began looking for an agency, I was turned down again and again because I am a single Mother. This broke my heart. I prayed and fasted, knowing I was supposed to reach out to the orphans of Ghana. Finally, my prayers were answered! I found out about an orphan home in Ghana run by a kind man who allows single Mothers to adopt from his home. As I continued my quest to adopt from Ghana, I felt strongly that right now isn't the best time to adopt. However, I felt compelled to contact the woman in America who works closely with this orphan home. As we talked, she casually mentioned something about a project to help the older girls who have not yet been adopted. I immediately was interested! Since then, I have felt strongly I need to help with this project. The other night, as I lay awake at about 2:00 in the morning it came to me that I am supposed to go to Ghana next year. I prayed about it and feel this is, in fact, the right thing to do.

So, my son and I will be traveling to Ghana next year! And this is where our story picks up. I will keep this blog as we prepare to travel, as we face the challenges which are sure to come, and as we feel the great joy and excitement of preparing for this great adventure! I, of course, have spoken with my son about going to Ghana, and he is so excited! I must add, at this point, that I am opening an orphanage in China once I have graduated from college. My son has been aware of this fact since he was an infant. He speaks Chinese and is very, very excited to go to China. We talk about it often and he knows that is where he will be living as soon as Mommy is done with school. You can imagine his surprise when I told him we are going to Ghana next year! He looked at me and said, in his two year old way, "I thought we were going to China!!" I explained that we will do that after I am done with school, but before we do that, we need to go to Ghana and help the little children there. I explained it more than once to make sure he understood, and since then, he has been so excited to go! In Ghana, each day of the week is assigned a person's name (one for male and one for female). The day on which you were born will correspond with a name, and that name will be part of your name. Since my son was born on Wednesday, at least part of his name should be Kweku. I told my son his Ghanaian name, and since then he has been insisting everyone call him Kweku. I don't know enough about Ghanaian culture and customs to know if that will be what he is called while in Ghana, but he certainly likes it, and maybe it will help him as we plan this grand adventure to Ghana, Africa!!

1 comment:

Gabi Dickinson said...

Ah it was amazing to read more of your story! I wish I knew the part pre-Taiger though too!