Header

Header

Monday, October 24, 2011

Dick and Jane, or I am not happy about what should be a good surprise.

I have always thought Taiger was super bright. I started him on letters when he was about 2 because I felt reading is the most important thing in the world.

I had him reading "Dick and Jane" when he was barely 4, and I really was excited he was learning to read. I have always taught him how important it is to read. In Taiger's kindergarten preparedness test, he recognized 36 letters (upper- and lower-case combined) and I was so pleased that he was so far ahead of the standard for kids entering kindergarten (they need to know 11 to enter kgarten). He is SO SMART!

Well, my parents brought in this sweet little foster boy who is Taiger's age. He acts like a baby. He is very immature. He had not learned much before he came. He hardly spoke at all. In his kindergarten screening he recognized 11 letters total of upper- and lower-case letters. He was miles behind Taiger. He did not understand that letters could fit together to make words, and could not sound out even the most simple words.

About three days ago, my Mom started having him read Dick and Jane. Today, he caught up to where Taiger is.

Is it bad that I am totally furious about this?

Do I feel like an idiot for spending all of that time working with Taiger when he was little? Yes. Yes I do.

No comments: