Header

Header

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

BIG NEWS!

Ready for the BiG NEWS??

Taiger is weaning from the binkey!!


Can you even believe it?

I got him a chew tube to take the place of the binkey, because I know he has to chew (thank you, Sensory Integration Disorder). He can have the binkey when he is IN BED, but other than that, it is put away safely in the drawer of my nightstand.

I wanted to talk to him and tell him why I was doing something so horrific as taking away his binkey. It was a really hard thing for me to do. I never, EVER wanted to EVER "compare" him to other kids. I didn't want to say ANYTHING like, "Look at all the other kids your age. Do they have binkeys?" (Just thinking about ever saying that kind of thing to him makes me sick!) I also did NOT want to say anything like, "The other kids will make fun of you," because WHO CARES what other people think?! So, I had to have a talk with him and I was really unsure of what to say. But, God put the words in my mind. I had to come to the realization, and then put the message across to a five year old, that it doesn't matter what other people think, but we still have to do things that are appropriate for, and acceptable in, our society. For instance, we don't care what other people think of us, but we still bathe and clean ourselves to be acceptable in our society. We don't care what other people think, but we still teach ourselves to go to the bathroom in the potty and not our pants because in our society that is what is acceptable. It was a hard concept to try and put across to a five year old, and he was pretty puzzled over what "society" is.

Anyway, today is day 5 (yes, FIVE!) without the binkey and he didn't tantrum AT ALL today for his it! Last night, we went to a movie, and I was SO WORRIED he would cry for it because watching a movie is the ideal binkey-sucking situation! Dark, relaxing, you are sitting and not up being active, and you have the opportunity to THINK about how you don't have your binkey! THANK YOU, Disney, for making a movie so entertaining that even Taiger didn't think of his binkey! (I LOVED "Tangled"!!)

I think we have made a major breakthrough and are well on our way to a binkey-free life!

3 comments:

Bryttan said...

HOORAY! HOORAY! That is so great, Brec! That was a wonderful way to explain to him why he should only have his binkey at night. What a good Mom you are. Tangled is awesome!! I LOVED that Movie, and thanks to my brother in law, I own that movie! I hope that I'll be as fun of a Mom one day as you are. I'm excited to see you guys tomorrow!

***megan*** said...

you are such a rockin mom!!! i know that you make taiger feel so safe and so loved and understood.

Shannon Dooley said...

Sweeeeet! Way to go Taiger! You're a rock star bud! And you Miss Breclyn are one thoughtful awesome Mom!!! What a great way to communicate why this is important to him. Amazing.

PS Taking a shower regularly is acceptable in society? I guess I had better take my hygiene up a notch. ;)